• Page:

TOPIC:

Questions about Possible KZ1300 Purchace 9 years 11 months ago #3238

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Lucien-Harpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
Okay, here's what I got- I have the opportunity to trade a good-to-go 1983 Goldwing for a 1980 KZ1300A. While I'd like a 1300 as orginial as possible, this one has a vetter fairing, bags, and cracked coils. While it's relatively easy to get parts for my Goldwings, I've noticed it's a bit harder to do with these Kawasakis. So, my questions:

- Coils: How hard is it to find and replace them? Do I need a set from that specific model/year, or can I use ones from the Voyager which (I'm assuming) are easier to find?

-Headlight/Blinkers: Pain in the butt to find? Or are there at least aftermarket replacements that look really close to stock available?

Basically, would this be a trade worth driving 5 hours one-way for?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Questions about Possible KZ1300 Purchace 9 years 11 months ago #3239

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Hello L-H:

I'll try to tackle your questions.

First verify the production date and make sure it's an A-2 (1980)

Make sure you are getting a deep sump oil pan. If it doesn't, either pass on the bike or get ready to add the deep sump pan and related parts. Deep sump has the drain plug on the bottom of the pan. Capacity is 5.3L on the A-2 vs 6.2L on the 81 and newer models.

Coils:
You have about 4 to 5 options on coils, so don't let those old split coils stop you from taking on this project.

Lighting:
When I bought my A-4, it also had a vetter faring on it, so I was in the same predicament. It took me about 3 months to locate a clean factory headlight bucket and fork lobes. I had to go with Kisan after market blinkers for the time being, but they work and are new. Their close replica's.

even though I am partial to Kawasaki, if you Wing is in exceptional shape, I would think real hard before I traded it off. By the sound of the bike you are looking at, you could easily spend 3 to 3 K in a complete refurbishment, and that is assuming you don't need any engine work.

Hopefully this leans reason to your decision.

Regards.

Todd.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Last edit: by Toddh. Reason: spelling

Questions about Possible KZ1300 Purchace 9 years 11 months ago #3241

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for the info.

The Goldwing I'm not concerned with. I got it cheap, it's a full dresser (not my style), and I've got two other 'Wings I like better. I've been trying to sell it for a month and a half now, with no luck.

Apart from the coils, I was told it was in good shape mechanically. Cam chain tensionor has already been replaced, and apart from a re-painted tank and front fender (something I can fix myself), it actually looks pretty good.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/LHprs/WP...119_15_14_25_Pro.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/LHprs/WP...119_15_14_16_Pro.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/LHprs/WP...119_15_14_39_Pro.jpg

It's the one with the fairing.

I'm planning on getting with a guy who has a wrecked KZ to see if he's willing to part it out to help with the headlight/brackets/blinkers.

Questions about Possible KZ1300 Purchace 9 years 11 months ago #3245

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Hey I know those bikes :). Mine is the one in the pictures without the fairing. Granted I've been spending all winter repainting the motor covers and removing all the yellow paint from my bike. That picture was taken in the fall lol.

You must be the guy that had that craigslist ad I forwarded on to my buddy! When I noticed it I thought of him since I knew he has a thing for nice goldwings.

Honestly if you have any questions on the bike I can help answer them too. I've seen/heard it run and worked on his bike myself. Mostly just helping him with a few things here and there. I've already thrown away those cracked coils (all three were split right down the middle.) and it's waiting for someone to buy a new set for install. Just needs a set of AW-82 Tri's and new leads (50 bucks investment tops that's how much I paid to redo my system shipping included.) and it'll be a running bike again :).

While it's true that getting a bike like this in 100% running condition can cost quite a bit in labor costs if you have someone else do it, the parts can be had relatively cheap enough if you're handy/resourceful. Plus when it comes to these bikes I imagine most people are probably doing their own labor.

Regarding the lights, if you want to stay original finding a good bucket from ebay isn't easy. There's plenty of other options too like using round headlights or changing the light out to a GPZ headlight and bucket. Ebay item 350935973616 for the bucket (You could refurbish this on the cheap to make it look like new.). Ebay item 231100774632 for a light if the one on the bike doesn't fit. Mount the light using universal light mounts and cover that all up with a gpz quarter fairing ebay item 261457570139. There's an entire assembly that looks nice up there too with blinkers light and brackets all included already. No idea if it'll be an easy fit though ebay item 221408177145.

It could be made from fiberglass as well just need a mold made from an intact bucket.

Blinkers show up all the time on Ebay for about 60-100 a piece. Those are fairly common and kz1000 blinkers are really close to being identical except that they're shaped on the backs slightly different. The blinker posts are really rare but any kz blinker post will work in their place for about 10-20 bucks/pair.

Regarding the sump I agree it's a good upgrade. There's plenty of folks that do fine without it but there's a cheap one up right now for 150 ebay item 400654891930. If you decide to make use of it you'll need a longer oil pickup. Don't worry about that though I have one I can include and an extra brand new pan gasket as well if you're interested. With the pan you might have clearance issues with the exhaust expansion boxes. You could modify/remove them or upgrade to zn1300 ones or get a DG exhaust setup.

It's a really low mile bike (Less than 20k I think in the teens.) and doesn't have much missing from it it's certainly more complete than mine is right now since it still has a manual, toolkit, and other stuff.

Let me know if you have any other questions on it I'm always happy to help a friend!

Last edit: by Mikez.

Questions about Possible KZ1300 Purchace 9 years 11 months ago #3246

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for all the info! I've got a line on a headlight from a standard yam. XS11, but if that falls through the GPZ option looks real good. I've got a few ideas for blinkers, enough I'm not really concerned. Overall?

I think I'm gonna go for it. ;)

Questions about Possible KZ1300 Purchace 9 years 11 months ago #3250

• KEL
  • Thank you received: 0

Lucien-Harpress wrote: Okay, here's what I got- I have the opportunity to trade a good-to-go 1983 Goldwing for a 1980 KZ1300A. While I'd like a 1300 as orginial as possible, this one has a vetter fairing, bags, and cracked coils. While it's relatively easy to get parts for my Goldwings, I've noticed it's a bit harder to do with these Kawasakis. So, my questions:

- Coils: How hard is it to find and replace them? Do I need a set from that specific model/year, or can I use ones from the Voyager which (I'm assuming) are easier to find?

-Headlight/Blinkers: Pain in the butt to find? Or are there at least aftermarket replacements that look really close to stock available?

Basically, would this be a trade worth driving 5 hours one-way for?

I have just listed some parts for sale that may help you (BLINKERS & COILS)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds