Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

dutch z1300 8 years 9 months ago #8316

• bassie20
  • bassie20's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
ok, that makes sense.. I know NOT to move it up.

Thanks for the heads up Bas. Mr Solarpanels is gone!
Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZQ.

dutch z1300 8 years 8 months ago #8357

• bassie20
It's alive!

had to crank it for 3 times, then it fired up and sounds quit smoothly, it actually idles right away..a lot of blue smoke though, hope that clears up..
looks promising, now for a test drive.

I fitted a new air box gasket and 1 airbox to carb rubber from our german neighbours.

Last edit: by bassie20.

dutch z1300 8 years 8 months ago #8359

• bassie20
back from a 25 mile test drive.. surprised how well it runs, idles on all 6 as far as I can tell and picks up good.
hope it gets even better after balance and fuel mixture tune!

there is a light howl coming from the engine that I hear when I let go of the throttle in second and first gear (maybe all but I can't hear) does that sound familiar??

dutch z1300 8 years 8 months ago #8360

• Lucien-Harpress
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 108
In the brief time I got to ride mine, I was getting a similar noise as well. I'd call it normal.

fuel-bowl level measuring 8 years 8 months ago #8377

• scotch
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 832
Regarding setting the fuel level.

The referral in the manual to lowering the "calibrated plastic tube" is with reference to using the "Kawasaki" "Fuel Level Gauge". If you're fortunate enough to have one - excellent! With the "zero" line at carb-base level, the fuel-level is read directly off the calibrations. So in this manner you are actually "zeroing" the sight tube so the increments are an actual measured reference to the fuel in the bowl.

Most of us however simply use any clear tubing the size of which is determined by whatever adapter we have made or purchased. The important issue as far as I'm concerned is to secure the clear sight-tube in any manner that prevents it from moving up or down at all. Your reading is more accurate if the sight-tube is secured as close as possible to the carb-base so that an easy line of sight allows you to clearly and easily see the fuel level, relative to the carb-base. Then you can use a small metric pocket ruler to measure the fuel-level in the tube relative to the carb-base. Any movement of the sight tube once filled can potentially give an incorrect level reading.
The carb & bowl I use to pre-set the brass floats has been modified to make this process much easier, quicker and with repeated accuracy. In this case I have made a special sight tube which is vertical right up against the carb-base and I have scribed the "High- 6.5mm" and "Low 8.5mm" measurement right on the edge of the bowl. I made some adaptations which allow The sight-tube for this "Test" carb to incorporate a strong magnet to retain it in a fixed position so it does not move but is easily installed and removed repeatedly. The shorter the tube the better as it speeds-up the sight-tube filling. Technically, you could have a 2' loop of tubing hanging below the carb but it would take longer for it to fill and stabilize.
You can permanently scribe the edge of each bowl with the "high' and "Low" level but you must first determine whether these marks are going to be WITH a bowl-gasket" or Without. I chose to mark my "test-Bowl' without the use of a gasket. The reason for this is to speed-up the process by eliminating the need to repeatedly "play around" with the gasket.
The thickness of the bowl-gasket is what will determine where the scribed marks are on the bowl's edge, if you choose to use a gasket in setting the level.
All you need to remember is: The specified level is relative to the carb-base - nothing else. The fuel bowl could be a 1 quart jar. The fuel level must still be 6.5mm-8.5mm down from the carb-base.

hope this helps.
1980 KZ 1300 sr# KZT30A-009997
Always High - Know Fear !
The following user(s) said Thank You: zed_thirteen, Kawboy

dutch z1300 8 years 8 months ago #8387

• bassie20
thanks scotch for your input..

I think I got the levels set pretty good using a basic tube and adapter.
First I let the level come up on its own without moving the tube, close to the bowl like you mentioned.
If that was ok, and within specs, lowering the tube, which results in a larger total volume, made the level come up to
where it was, and stop at the same height every time.

This weekend I'm planning to do a compression test, balance the carbs and set the pilot mixtures with the colortune..

Hope to get it all set up and do some big test drives within the next week, because I want to drive it to sloveniƫ
for my vacation, about 700 miles away, on the 7th of august. :whistle:

but I have my good old kawa 750GT as my backup!

Last edit: by bassie20.
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds