Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 3 months ago #1291

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
You are probably right Mike, and this particular filter is quite long so in a pinch , keeping the tank full and therefore utilising as much of the filter surface as possible would probably get the bike home.
" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 3 months ago #1299

• RickG
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 95
My opinion is that the inside filter is the best as that would not allow rust particles through to the tap and damage it or let it stick open a bit.

As for removing rust from a fuel tank I have used a 10:1 mix of Molassis and water and let it soak for 48 hours with the occasional slosh around then get some crushed rock like the pea size crushed basalt that is used on road surface (the crushed rock is needed because of the sharp edges) and put about a gallon of water and 3 hands full of crushed rock and shake it around a bit, this removes the already losened scale. Do this a few times then flush it out with clean water let it dry in the sun and then rinse with Meths and dry again then it should be nice and clean.
If not do it again it's a good workout.
Live your life so that the Westbro Baptist Church will want to picket your funeral
Z1300 A1 x 2

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 3 months ago #1305

• Bob4717
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, I've been reading this post with interest as I have to clean my 79 tank and I plan to seal it. I was wondering if there is any kind of baffles etc, inside the tank? I can't see very far in through the cap opening and need to know what I'm dealing with when the time comes to slosh around the sealer. Thanks! Bob

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 3 months ago #1306

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Bob,

Dont worry, there is nothing inside the 1300 tank.

You just need to remove the petcock & fuel gauge sender unit & thats it.

I used a gallon of white vinegar to de-rust mine. Left it in for a week & moved it around 3 to 3 times a day.
It was amazing the amount of rust & crap it pulled out.

I then used PERSEAL ULTRA to line the tank & that was a long time ago........had no problems.

Hope that helps.

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob4717

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 3 months ago #1307

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Bob,

I'm not fond of sealing the inside of a gas tank mostly because unless it's a leaker, it's unnecessary. That is, it's unnecessary unless you plan on storing your bike with a half filled tank for an extended period of time. I've written up a bit on cleaning old tanks. I'll post it as soon as I can find a recent copy.

Bill

Here it is:

One of the most common tasks associated with bringing an older bike back from the dead is figuring out how to deal with the varnish and rust, in the tank, left over from years of neglect. After cleaning many gas tanks, I've finally settled on this method as working best for me. I'm sure there will be refinements and improvements, of which I'll write more about as they evolve.

First of all.
Why do fuel tanks attract moisture?

You park the bike with a quarter tank of fuel probably during the day when it's warmer. That night the temperature drops and as the air inside the tank cools it becomes less able to hold moisture so some of the water vapor condenses. Now this amount of water is insignificant and over night or even a couple of weeks won't usually be a problem. But over a longer period of time, usually months, the tank will breath in every time it cools. That new moisture will condense then when the day warms up the tank will breath out the air that gave up some of it's moisture yesterday. That night as things cool down the tank will take a new breath of damp air and the process starts over again.

What to do if you find rust in your tank.

Is the tank leaking? If it is either Pour 15 or Kreem will solve the problem. Pick one and follow the prep instructions carefully.
If the tank is still holding fuel, I like to check the quality of the steel at critical locations before I go further. To do so, I use a popsickle stick and test the areas adjacent to the seams. Set the tank down and run the popsickle stick along the seams using moderate pressure. Find the lowest part of the tank and test this area as well. If the popsickle stick can't push a hole through the steel there's no need for epoxy sealers. Great, you're bucks ahead and your bike will be worth more as well. As a collector, I've learned to always check the gas tank, not only for rust but to see if the previous owner has had the tank sealed. I judge a sealed tank as hurting the value of a bike more than a rusty tank.

If the popsickle stick reveals soft areas but doesn't actually puncture a hole, It's still a good idea to go with a sealer as the cleaning process may well cause the tank to leak after all.
There are plenty of methods used to clean gas tanks.
I've used sand with steel nuts and kerosene and tumbled them for hours. I gave up on abrasive methods because they take too much time and the sand is too difficult to clean out when finished.

I've used mild acid preparations such as Naval Jelly. These I gave up on because they don't really attack the rust enough to get rid of heavy build ups of scaly rust.
I tried the electric method, using a battery charger and a steel rod. I'm not sure this one accomplishes much. It didn't touch the scale and getting at the top of the tank is tough.

I've read about using sodium hydroxide ( lye ). It's supposed to be a good method because it doesn't erode the base metal. I'm looking forward to an opportunity to try it out.

Most recently, I've settled on a muratic acid wash followed by a dose of phosphoric acid as the best method, mostly because it always gets the job done and doesn't require a lot of physical effort.

To do the job you first have to decide if the tank has scaly rust or just surface rust. If the rust hasn't gotten to the point where it's scaly you can skip the 1/4" nuts, referred to later.

First, flush out any oily varnish that may be coating the lower regions of the tank with acetone or any of those engine degreasers. If you choose the engine degreaser flush the tank with water.

Remove the fuel level sensor. Seal it's opening with GOOD duct tape.
Remove the petcock and seal it up with an appropriate plug or capped section of hose. Dump 30 or so 1/4" nuts into the tank.
Pour in a pint or so of muriatic acid. Seal up the fill spout with GOOD duct tape.
While wearing gloves, old clothes and safety goggles. Agitate the tank for 10 to fifteen minutes. During this time you can monitor the pressure in the tank by watching the duct tape bulging at the fill hole. If too much pressure develops, carefully vent it by peeling the tape back than reseal and keep shaking.

Next pick a piece of concrete that you don't particularly care about. Remove the tape from the sender opening and fill hole and flush the tank with cold water. The acid that has not already been consumed will neutralize itself on the concrete. You're still wearing goggles and gloves right?

Now dry off the openings and reseal them with GOOD duct tape. This time pour in a pint of naval jelly, or milk stone remover or tile haze remover. These are all phosphoric acid formulations. Phosphoric acid is not as aggressive as muriatic acid and therefore is mostly a waste of time if you're trying to really remove rust. What phosphoric acid will really do well is leave the inside of the tank coated with iron phosphate, which is somewhat rust resistant. For this step you do not need much agitation. Just tumble the tank over several times and let it set for a half hour or so and then tumble it again. After about two hours of this and go back to the concrete slab, open the tank, drain it and immediately spray WD 40 into the openings trying to coat as much of the metal as you can. Now flush it out thoroughly with clean water. One more application of WD40 and you're ready to force dry the tank.

Back in the shop, prop a blowdryer so that it forces warm air into the tank and let it blow for an hour or more. Position the tank in different orientations during this process to make sure that no seam holds water. Once it's really dry you're done.

I used to say that the phosphoric acid step was critical to avoid flash rusting. Now, I still think it's a good idea for future rust resistance but since I started spraying WD40 into the still wet tanks, flash rust's no longer a concern.

I've probably cleaned twenty tanks with some variation of this method I've described here and never damaged the exterior paint or eaten through the steel.

Good luck.

Thanks for the interest.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Last edit: by KZQ.

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 3 months ago #1320

• Toddh
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 65
Hello All:

Sorry if this is duplicate information but I was lazy and did not read all 4 pages of this post.

Over the last couple of years, I have used Northern Tank Prep, on both my Z1R and 1300 tank.

www.northernfactory.com/CHEMICAL_AISLE/F...ERS_-_KITS/RW0125-55

The link provided is just their fuel tank prep Acetone product. They also offer a two step product for those tougher tanks than need to be lined. It's a Low VoC product.

I used the two step process on both tanks; mainly to preserve the good metal that was there. I hated to do it, but it came down to preservation, over having a virgin metal tank.

In the last 18 months, this liner has not separated, and none of it has migrated into the carb bowls. Like others state, most of these products last in direct proportion on how well one prepares and cleans the tank.
KZ1300 A-4 4TH 1300 IN 30 YEARS
KZ1000 D-3/ Z1R
ZX900 GPZ A-3
KZ750 E-1
K1200GT
CB750F 1978

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds