Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 2 months ago #1251

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Duly noted! I had not been adventurous enough to actually try other petcocks but saw on another forum when I was looking for matches in fitment that most petcocks appear to be similar. Thanks for doing the fact checking on that one lol :).

Once you have all the information on what fits, a good replacement shouldn't be too hard to find. If you're looking for one with the fuel screen still attached like I was, you might have a bit more trouble finding one but not impossible with Ebay around.

My original petcock still works fine but it's missing the screen. When any crud at all from the tank goes through it, it tends to get stuck and clog it up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 2 months ago #1252

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Mikez

It does make me laugh that we all share the same pain with this bike of ours !

If you look at my image with the measure above.........you can see my filter / screen is also not good (half hearted repair job) which is another reason I need a replacement petcock !!

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 2 months ago #1257

• BigSix
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 221
Pete

don't you use a filter between/ within the pipe to the carbs ?

Holger
Z1300 A1/ KZT30AG built 1979
frame KZT30A 004285
engine KZT30A 000288
location: borderland-triangle France/ Germany/ Switzerland, Europe

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 2 months ago #1276

• strate6
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • On An Adventure Before Dementia ! !
  • Thank you received: 356
Holger.

YES I do !

I use a small cylinder type filter. They MUST be Fast Flow as if not they can cause fuel starvation at higher revs. Mine can be taken apart & cleaned too. It is pretty important to use minimum 7mm internal pipe too (as standard spec). Many owners use 6mm but that can restrict flow too.
I dont have to clean filter often as I have lined the tank with PETSEAL ULTRA so no rust,

Pete F
Why Have Four When You Can Have Six ?

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 2 months ago #1287

• tackelhappy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Can't find a part # on the fuel tap so hope the photo's help. The hole position on the tap was not exactly correct for the bottom of the tank, but only a minor mod required.
The vacuum to open the diaphram is from any one of the threaded screws on the intake manifold.
Just one point about the filter being on the inside of the tank- if the tank is in good shape with no rust or other grud that could bloke the filter, then the inside filter is a good idea. If the inside of the tank is somewhat suspect, then an exterior filter that can be seen and cleaned when necessary is probably a better idea. In other words, if the interior filter plugs on a ride somewhere , it will be quite difficult to clean it on the side of the road

" If you can't say what you think, very soon you won't be able to think !
OKANAGAN FALLS. BC ,Canada
Attachments:

Last edit: by tackelhappy. Reason: correction

aux fuel pump on my 1980 10 years 2 months ago #1289

• Mikez
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I agree that having to clean the filter in a pinch like that wouldn't be ideal. The main Issue I had was when I bought my bike (before I used Evaporust on my tank) was that the inside was VERY suspect lol. In that case rust scale got stuck inside the petcock passages and line filter passages and clogged the line completely.

I imagine if the screen was intact and was getting plugged stopping the bike and sloshing the gas around it would loosen it up a bit in a pinch correct :)?

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds