• Page:

TOPIC:

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15045

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

KZQ wrote: That's quite a project Yaegunp. How long did it take you to get to this point? Did you have some time of deadline for the registration or was it just a goal of yours?
Congratulations!
Bill

Bill, just off the top of my head I would have said 2 years plus. I looked up when I joined KZ1300.com and it was 15 months ago, add a few months to that, so I would say 18 months give or take.

When I started I had never worked on an engine before so lots of the time I was reading and re-reading and then re-reading again.

My rego is due on the 2nd December and the bike having a permanent sidecar creates all sorts of issues with our motor transport authority if registration lapses. Mechanics, engineers and the MTA all have issues with sidecars sadly. When I first tried to register it in my state of NSW I was meant to have an engineers certificate. The first question the engineer asked was 'What sort of steel is the leading-link made from?' Well I purchased the unit with the sidecar attached and the gentleman who owned it before me had passed away, so I was never gunna be able to answer that question. I would have thought that with the money they charge they should be able to tell me the answer to that question. Turned out I somehow managed to slip through the system without ever having to get an engineers certificate and I don't want to have to face that scenario in my lifetime.

I have a lot more tools than I used to have, this is a good thing of course but it does hit the back pocket having to buy special equipment for the restoration process. I think I'll have to start another one so that I can get good use from the tools. :silly:
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15046

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Yaegunp,
Wow! Sounds like TOO much government. In this country the bureaucrats already make life difficult but not to your extent, at least not yet.
Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15047

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
This IS a lot to ask for unless it's a one off custom creation like the kind of work Trikebldr does. I think if I was asked to supply P Eng stamped drawings, I'd go back to the manufacturer of the sidecar and ask for a set. I'm sure that the sidecar manufacturers have these readily available for circumstances just like this. I'm sure Australia is probably not the only country with strict regulations.

My $0.02

Last edit: by Kawboy.

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15048

• kza13
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
I'm in Queensland, never had that sort of trouble when I got the bike registered, few years ago now, I guess because I don't have a leading link and you can remove the sidecar by taking out 6 bolts helps, so it's not a permanent fixture, as for going and getting info from the sidecar maker, heck they went out of business years ago, never would get any, but I did have the unit set up by an engineer guy, he straightens bike frames and stuff like that, but he was pretty old when he did mine so he might be gone also, fingers crossed I never have to get it registered again, in case they've changed the laws. Always surprised me that it's just registered as a "normal" bike, no extra rego fees for the sidecar or any mention of it attached in any of the rego paperwork.
after tuesday even the calendar goes WTF
1979 KAWASAKI Z1300 A1 WITH A DJP SIDECAR
Frame No: KZT3OA003911
Engine No: KZT3OAE004153

Bike Now Re-Registered 7 years 4 months ago #15052

• Yaegunp
  • Yaegunp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 32

kza13 wrote: I'm in Queensland, never had that sort of trouble when I got the bike registered, few years ago now, I guess because I don't have a leading link and you can remove the sidecar by taking out 6 bolts helps, so it's not a permanent fixture, as for going and getting info from the sidecar maker, heck they went out of business years ago, never would get any, but I did have the unit set up by an engineer guy, he straightens bike frames and stuff like that, but he was pretty old when he did mine so he might be gone also, fingers crossed I never have to get it registered again, in case they've changed the laws. Always surprised me that it's just registered as a "normal" bike, no extra rego fees for the sidecar or any mention of it attached in any of the rego paperwork.

Here in NSW the rego paperwork makes no mention of the sidecar either. I am unable to identify the make of my sidecar, like the Z1300 it was built like a tank as well. The whole unit weighs in at 650kg's, not sure how much fuel was in it when weighed and of course that would make a big difference, especially if I had fuel in both tanks.
1983 Z1300 A5 plus Sidecar.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds