TOPIC:

86 voyager after jenny craig 8 years 59 minutes ago #11668

• trikebldr
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 38

KZQ wrote:

trikebldr wrote:

KZQ wrote: Looking really nice! Any problems with that 7 plate clutch slipping?
Bill

...I do wonder why Kawasaki went to a smaller diameter clutch on the Voyagers, though!

Hi Bruce,

It's my understanding that the diameter is still the same. They just dropped two plates to reduce the projection of the clutch cover so as to give more room for the rider's right foot.

Bill

You would know better than me, Bill, since you own both! I was just told that they went smaller diameter when they completely re-did the engine with two alternators and a new left side cover, as well as FI. But, you do make me curious enough that I MUST look into this! If what you say is true, I now wonder if it's possible to put the KZ clutch into a ZN. It would sure help with pulling a sidecar and trailer for longer touring, I would think. However, on my old '83 with the Spyder sidecar, I pulled a 500+lb trailer all the time and never had any issues with anything on that bike.
Another bit of engineering that plays in here is when you decrease the surface area of friction by removing some of those plates, and still use the same springs, that friction pressure is increased per square inch (or cm/sq). That was the principle used by Kawasaki engineers when they made the change, according to the article I read a long time ago. It would be more brutal on the clutch if slipped, though! Pros and cons both ways, but I think for heavier loading the more plates would be better. Lighter loading on each plate with less wear per slip.
Maybe Lucasind could chime in here since he is an old Kawasaki mechanic and has probably replaced dozens of both clutches.
Thanks for raising the question, though, Bill!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

86 voyager after jenny craig 7 years 4 months ago #14888

• Medlock1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hello,

Your bike looks great, I'm at the same point on a 1985 strip down. What did you use for handle bars?

Thanks and nice job!

Frank P.

86 voyager after jenny craig 7 years 4 months ago #14894

• 6cylinder
  • 6cylinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
I cut down the stock handle bars.. cut a section out and welded back together...
millers auto electric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Medlock1

86 voyager after jenny craig 7 years 4 months ago #14895

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027
I found the handle bars off of a Honda CB750 have the same rise and pull back as the KZ1300 A model. Lots available as aftermarket. Got mine for $42.00 Canadian
The following user(s) said Thank You: McZed

86 voyager after jenny craig 7 years 4 months ago #14896

• 6cylinder
  • 6cylinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
nice.. My bike is a voyager so the handlebars are two piece and regular handlebars do not work on voyagers unless you use risers.. thats why I cut mine down..
millers auto electric

86 voyager after jenny craig 7 years 4 months ago #14898

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

6cylinder wrote: nice.. My bike is a voyager so the handlebars are two piece and regular handlebars do not work on voyagers unless you use risers.. thats why I cut mine down..

Ooops, missed the fact that you were talking about a Voyager. Ok I'll pay attention now. Sorry.

Time to create page: 0.097 seconds