Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Old Friend 8 years 11 months ago #7382

• Mellvis
  • Mellvis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
In an effort to save some money I purchased some headlight ears for a KZ650 ($12.00) and think I can modify them to fit. The 1300 has 41mm forks as opposed to the KZ650 with 36mm forks. I drilled the spot welds that hold the tubes at the right diameter and plan to spread them down over the 1300 forks. I will weld the appropriate amount of material in the gap when I'm satisfied with the fit. And hey, if I don't like it I'm out $12.00, if I do like it, I'm ahead by $166.00!

Wish me luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old Friend 8 years 11 months ago #7383

• Kawboy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1029
You might want to look in FleeBay. If you search "41mm Ears" in the parts and accessories section you'll get 48 results. There's some really nice looking aluminum ears in polished aluminum and or painted black. Range in price from 28 bucks to 39 bucks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mellvis

Old Friend 8 years 11 months ago #7390

• Mellvis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Kawboy. I like the ones I found on Ebay for that price range. Polished aluminum with different shims for different size forks. Anyone know the measurements from the fork tube to the headlight bucket holes? I want to get them long enough so I can make holes to mount the turn signals rather than mount them where the headlight bucket bolts to the headlight ear.

Old Friend 8 years 11 months ago #7392

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lifelong Rider Suffering Through MBD
  • Thank you received: 274

Mellvis wrote: Thanks Kawboy. I like the ones I found on Ebay for that price range. Polished aluminum with different shims for different size forks. Anyone know the measurements from the fork tube to the headlight bucket holes? I want to get them long enough so I can make holes to mount the turn signals rather than mount them where the headlight bucket bolts to the headlight ear.

Hi Brian,

I found five inches from the center of the fork tubes to the center of the headlight pivots. The turn signals are right in the middle.

Here are a couple of pics.

Hope this helps.

Bill
1947 Indian Chief, 1968 BSA Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 Kawasaki W3, 1976 KZ900 A4, 1979 KZ750 B4, 1979 KZ750 B4 Trike, 1980 KZ550, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 1985 Kawasaki ZN1300, 1987 Yamaha Trail Way, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1981 GL 1100, 2009 Yamaha RoadLiner S
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mellvis

Old Friend 8 years 11 months ago #7401

• Mellvis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks Bill. The ones I found on Ebay are 15 cm (5.9 inches) total length so they should be almost an exact fit. Looks like I would just have to drill holes for the turn signals.

Old Friend 8 years 11 months ago #7405

• Mellvis
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well, tonight I got fire to all coils. Sprayed a little carb cleaner in each carb throat and got some fire. Didn't start, but it did make some sounds like it wanted to! Now to pull the carbs. I feel more confident now. Still no electric to the head light. Haven't checked much on that. I said I wasn't in a hurry before.....my how things can change ever so quickly!

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds